Beef Caldereta (Beef Kaldereta) is one of the most popular dishes in the Philippines, it is usually served during special occasions. You can use pork or chicken instead of beef. We all know that beef takes quite a long time to cook if you are not using a pressure cooker. In the Philippines, beef is quite pricey, so many people prefer to use pork.
I added green bell peppers too, to add color. The norm is to just use red bell peppers.
Beef Caldereta is made by infusing all the flavors into your beef and sauce. It may seem intimidating to make but it’s pretty simple. All you do is follow this recipe and simmer for a long long long time 🙂
- 1 kg Beef, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic gloves, crushed and chopped
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium size potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium size red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium size green red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 medium size carrot, chopped
- 3 slices of mozzarella cheese
- ¼ tsp dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 170 g liver spread
- 5 ½ cups water
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Saute beef with onion and garlic.
- Add water and bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tomato sauce, liver spread, and dried bay leaves. Simmer until tender with occasional stirring. (Add more water if needed)
- Add salt, tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, carrots, mozzarella cheese, and potatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes.