Today marks the first month of my blogging. Yehey! And I just received an email that I’m gonna have a salary raise. Another Yehey! Is there a better way to celebrate than a home cooked meal? I made this classic Filipino dish, Bicol Express, a well known spicy dish. The pork is simmered in coconut milk together with the shrimp paste. YUMMY!
Right after I took the photo above, I immediately devoured my bicol express with rice. I couldn’t help it, I was so hungry because I can smell the creaminess of the sauce. Even my cat knows how good it was, she kept meowing at me for a taste.
- 1 kg pork Kasim (pork's shoulder) cut into strips - (Alternative: Pork Belly)
- 800 ml coconut milk (3 cups)
- ½ cup shrimp paste
- 4 pieces green chili peppers, chopped diagonally
- ½ salt
- ½ ground pepper
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium size onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Saute onion and garlic in vegetable oil.
- Add pork strips and cook until lightly brown, around 6 minutes.
- Add shrimp paste, mix it with the pork and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bring it to boil then simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper, mix it well then simmer for another 5 minutes.