Hoisin sauce is commonly used in Chinese cuisine. It is a thick sauce usually made from soybeans, salted chili pepper, and garlic. Different variant exist. Hoisin sauce can be used as marinade, condiment or as an additional flavor for stir fry, braised, dipping sauce, or roasted food. It is available in most supermarkets.
Hoisin-Braised Pork Short Ribs is cooked with hoisin sauce and other spices for 2 hours. This will ensure that the meat is tender and the flavor will infuse into the meat. Once the short ribs are cooked, the sauce is thickened and drizzled back to the ribs.
Beef short ribs can definitely be used in this recipe as an alternative to pork short ribs. But it needs longer cooking time, 3 hours or until the meat is tender. The cook time depends how tough the beef short ribs are. The baking dish needs to be covered to prevent the liquid from evaporating at the same time the meat does not brown quickly before it is cooked. Too bad the baking dish I used does not have a cover, uhmm maybe I just couldn’t find it. As an alternative cover, you can use aluminum foil.
Definitely great with roasted or mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, or rice. Generously drizzle sauce, you will surely want more.
- 1 kg pork short ribs
- ½ cup (100g or 3.5 oz) hoisin sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- ½ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper powder (optional)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Pre-heat oven to 170 °C
- In a bowl, mix hoisin sauce, stock, orange juice, brown sugar, ginger powder, ground black pepper, and cayenne powder.
- Place short ribs to a baking dish.
- Pour braising liquid to the baking dish. Make sure short ribs are coated with mixture. (If not, turn ribs to coat)
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Cook in oven for 1 hour.
- Turn ribs and cover baking dish. Cook for another 1 hour or until ribs are tender.
- Remove ribs from baking dish.
- Pour braising liquid to a small sauce pan.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water. Stir well until cornstarch dissolves.
- Pour cornstarch mixture to the sauce pan.
- Bring to a quick boil, then simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Drizzle ribs with sauce.
- Serve with rice or roasted potatoes.