Hot Chocolate Milk reminds me of my favorite memories growing up. My mom would bring us to the wet market during the wee hours of the morning and we always pass a kiosk that sells hot chocolate milk. I would never leave the wet market without having a taste. They were using tablea which is commonly used in the Philippines to make hot chocolate. What is tablea? Tablea is made of pure cacao beans that are dried and roasted, they grind it and form it into a tablet. There’s a bitter taste to it similar to dark chocolate.
The reason why I’m making this recipe is because I really miss it. I use cocoa powder to make my homemade hot chocolate milk. I added cinnamon to boost the flavor. If desired, you may add other spices like chili powder.
- 2 tbsp sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2½ cups milk
- In a sauce pan, combine and mix dry ingredients: cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add milk and turn on medium heat. Keep stirring until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Allow mixture to boil, then remove from heat.
- Serve with marshmallows or top it with whipped cream.