Friand is an oval cake originated in France, it is popular in Australia. Traditionally, it is made with almond meal and baked in oval tins called Friand tins. You can definitely use your muffin tray to bake it.
Often times, it is mistaken as a muffin. mmm… Muffin or cake, I’ll eat it.
Friands with Chocolate Chips is just perfect for an afternoon snack.
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 185 g butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 160 C
- Grease 9 hole, ½ cup capacity friand tin or pan
- Place egg whites in a bowl and lightly whisk with fork.
- In a separate bowl, sift powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and flour into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the egg whites, butter and vanilla extract onto the flour mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Pour or spoon mixture into preferred pan, Bake for 10 minutes or until skewer inserted in the middle of a friand will come out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar.