Oh Hello there!
Hi my name is Joel! And I have one chopping board.
I have been dreaming of having my very own blog since last year and I have never thought I would make it to this, my first blog post. It took me a while to choose a topic that I already knew and what I actually loved – FOOD (Yum!). Just to let you know, I don’t have a culinary degree of some sort, but hey my mom doesn’t have a culinary degree and she cooks like a pro. 🙂
Why a food blog?
Well, everybody cooks (at least tries to) and everybody eats – I wanted to have a broad audience and I have a couple of recipes up my sleeves that I can share. I know there are so many food blogs out there and I am not here to compete with them. Also, there are tons of recipes out there that I haven’t done and I want to try them (even the ones I can’t pronounce) and share it to anyone who will read my blog.
The world’s best baked flan recipe is very easy to make. This recipe would be perfect for new year’s dessert.
When I was in grade school, I wasn’t a big fan of flan because every time I ate this dessert I got headaches. I know. I know. You think I was a crazy kid, I thought so too.
Back to the recipe. I use to mix my ingredients using a blender and it creates a lot of bubbles, this time I went with a mixer, it doesn’t create too much bubbles and when you pour the mixture to a baking pan the bubbles disappear.
- 5 eggs
- 1 can (390g) condensed milk
- 1 can (250ml) evaporated milk
- 500mL heavy cream
- 1½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 302 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Place the 1 cup sugar in a non-stick saucepan, melt sugar over medium heat. Allow the sugar to melt by swirling occasionally, do not stir, until it dissolves and begins to brown. Continue swirling the saucepan until the sugar becomes dark golden brown.
- Pour caramelized sugar into a 2 10x5 loaf pan or 6x4 oval cake pan and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Combine eggs, condensed and evaporated milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and the rest of the sugar (½ cup) in a mixer or blender for a minute or until everything is mixed together.
- Place the filled loaf pan into a larger pan and add 1 inch of hot water to the outer pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until set. (See Note)
- Allow to cool, refrigerate.
- Serve by flipping the loaf pan over a plate (caramel on top). Serve cold.
You can cover your loaf pan with foil while baking to avoid browning.
Check the center of the flan with a toothpick, Flan is done when toothpick comes out clean.